The Soil Center provides a collection of soil science lessons and an accompanying six-segment video program covering topics like soil texturing, living and nonliving components of soil, erosion, and more. These resources were designed specifically for Utah fourth-grade students but can easily be adapted for other grade levels.
Utah Agriculture in the Classroom
Lessons Associated with this Resource
- Soil Texture and Water Percolation
- Texturing: The Big Picture
- Plant Growth Affects the Soil
- Plant-Soil Interactions (Grades 3-5)
- The Rotten Truth
- The Soil Chain
- What Makes Up Your Profile?
- What's in Soil?
- Properties of Soils (Grades 3-5)
- In Search of Essential Nutrients (Grades 9-12)
- Soil Formation & Edible Horizons
- Vermicomposting (Grades 3-5)
- Vermicomposting (Grades K-2)
- Working Worms
- Secrets to Healthy Soils
- Caring for the Land
- Dark Days
- Keeping Soil in Its Place
- What's Our Soil Worth?
- Land and Soil in the Ecosystem
- Color in the Garden
- Soil and Sustainability (Grades 9-12)